Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Monumental Day

Well, a really great day for America- another monumental peaceful transition of power. No matter what party you profess to belong to, this was an amazing and monumental time for everyone. Following a meaningful MLKJ Day, we had the first American president of African descend sworn in- something that I’ll bet many of our parents and grandparents never imagined seeing. I appreciated President Obama’s inauguration speech (Even though I am sure that someone else wrote it- they have top speech writers over there in DC working awfully hard! As a side note, that is one thing that I think makes the Gettysburg Address so amazing is that the president actually wrote it himself! It really came from the heart and without tons of premeditation and committee approval. Anyway…) and he said many bold things. Among my favorite quotes was:

“We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.”

Boo ya, Osama bin Laden. That’s all I have to say. I also loved the part when he said:

“To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect. To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West — know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy. To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.”

I agree. I love how the speech ended with some awesome imagery of our founding fathers and their supreme courage that ought to serve to inspire us all to be better citizens, to more fully engage in service, and more diligently build up our communities. This nation is the product of great men and women working through divine providence and although we are not perfect, we owe it to them to work as best we can to uphold the great work they started and improve the lives that are within our grasp to touch. I often reflect on a quote that I do not recall who said it or where but it goes something like this, “you may not be able to change the whole world, but you can change someone else’s world.”

I encourage us all to participate in community service- some of my greatest college experiences have come through my volunteer work at the Children’s Justice Center, Utah State Hospital, Buckland House, and the Central Access School. They have shaped my desired career and have polished my character. I want to echo the oft overlooked credo of BYU “enter to learn, go forth to serve” which I find a much more worthwhile pursuit that just seeking immediate revenue for selfish ends. Don’t get me wrong, money is great and without it the world would cease to function as we know it. But money can either serve to corrode or to bless, only the holder of it can decide which it will do. With that said, as my NPO professor Brad says, “giving money is great, but giving your time is priceless.”

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Well written Miss Price! I LOVED your post and agree. I hope things are going good for you... miss ya!

BC