Friday, May 8, 2009

A Tribute to My Mom

Well, I graduated from college a couple of weeks ago and I have the greatest mom ever, so I wanted to take a moment to explain the connection between those two statements of fact.

The thing is, my Momma has been with me every step of the way. She got me Ninja Turtles shoe lace chompers so that I would not have the peril of untied shoes in preschool, thereby eliminating any unnecessary distraction from my early childhood education. She waited until I could actually read before putting me into GATE classes at school so I wouldn't get frustrated and hate it. She let me do after-school sports, summer swimming squad in junior high, high school sports, and even college sports which helped keep me invested in my education and mentally refreshed for my studies. She stood in long lines so that I could transfer into better schools with better programs. She literally made me lunch everyday up until I graduated from high school- amazing!- unless of course it was "breakfast for lunch" at Patton Elementary, in the which case, I gladly bought. There was also hot cocoa ready for me before seminary everyday and, although I scorched my tongue most of the time, it was a greatly appreciated boost to get me out the door in the morning. Demonstrated by hundreds of PTA meetings and Parent-Teacher Conferences and Booster Club events, school carnival shifts, napkins in my lunch that said "I love you" in permanent marker, water polo games and swim meets attended, and countless other acts of service, her love for me was loud and clear. She set the example by working late into the nights to finish her own school work and showed me the value of an education as she finished her degree- I am so proud of her for that. My mom came with me to set up my dorm room at BYU and take a freshmen photo at the very same spot we are in for the photo above four years later when she stood by me again, this time as a college graduate. Thanks for letting me call you all the time and always knowing when to send me a box of treats and when to tell me to stop whining and to always inspire me to never give up while always believing in my value as a women, as a daughter of God, and as a person in this world. I love you SO much and I thank you for giving me every opportunity for growth and happiness. Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Ariel said...

moms are the best! hope you are doing well!

Hayley said...

A shoelace chopper? That sounds amazing! I would have benefited greatly from that.

Ashlee said...

I had forgotten about the shoelace chompers! Your mom does rock! :)

Betsy said...

That made me tear up a bit... Aunt Kelli is amazing and I'm glad that my husband has discovered that as well! We had so much fun with your family when you came to visit- come ANY time!!