Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tax Evasion Woes


We all knew that large scale tax evasion was getting out of control when several months ago one after another of Obama's cabinet picks were being disqualified on account of their HUGE histories tax evasion. And now, as the government gets hard pressed for money, they are FINALLY cracking down on this and its about time. I think they waited so long primarily because politicians operate with the aid of greedy people. People who want there policies furthered and will donate to political campaigns. Those same greedy people apparently just can't bear to have their precious money go to those that they don't approve of, as happens with taxes. Yes, those same greedy who are probably in the best position to financially contribute to the country through their tax dollars and yet, they are people who consistently evade their taxes. Not because if they pay taxes their kids won't eat, not because they have a serious issue with the tax system that they are trying to make a statement about (see note below), but just because they are greedy. And the government has been sitting back letting them get away with it, I feel, because they are their financial allies. It's disgusting.

I feel like it is a long-standing joke that rich drug dealer types hide their money in overseas Swiss banks and, as it turns out, its not such a joke anymore. Today the New York Times released a front page article stating that UBS (one of the largest Swiss banks with many international clients) has made a bargain with our IRS to turn over thousands of names representing Americans they suspect of large-scale tax evasion.

It's about time we got honest here.


NOTE: the reason I had to include this bit about making a statement was because I adore the character played by Maggie Gyllenhaal in Stanger Than Fiction who specifically didn't pay for the 22% percentage of her taxes that she had calculated went tothings she morally abhorred.

Ana Pascal: Listen, I'm a big supporter of fixing potholes and erecting swing sets and building shelters. I am more than happy to pay those taxes. I'm just not such a big fan of the percentage that the government uses for national defense, corporate bailouts, and campaign discretionary funds. So, I didn't pay those taxes. I think I sent a letter to that effect with my return.
Harold Crick: Would it be the letter that beings "Dear Imperialist Swine"?

Not exactly right, but better than greed.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I love it! I love that movie too!