Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Healthcare Humor



I laughed soooo hard when I saw this photo!  In light of all the healthcare drama, I just wanted to take a moment to say that I think it is a bold undertaking and that some serious reform is, in fact, needed.  As a student, many of my friends do not have health insurance because their parents have recently pushed them out of the nest, they already find themselves tens of thousands of dollars in debt to student loans, and the last thing they want to think about is paying healthcare premiums.  Unfortunately, that means I've seen many friends NOT go to the hospital when they really should.  Even though I have insurance, that hasn't barred me from needing to pay $100 copays to have have a flustered and overworked doctor tell me to just take some Chloroseptic.  And when I injured myself on a rugby trip in Florida, I ended up paying hundreds of dollars for what turned out to be a misread X-ray.  Its absolute bogus.  And I don't even have a serious disease!   Think of all those who need costly treatment and medication in the situation of myself or my uninsured friends- its a frightening scenario and yet it is the reality for so many.  Even if we are not going to have the government provide their own medical programming, the medical profession needs some serious work.  I'm not sure how qualified a bunch of politicians are at regulating and scrutinizing the medical field, but I commend them for trying and I agree with their goals.

No comments: